Skip To ContentSkip To Content

    How do I submit a Public Records Request?

    Fax or email a request to or fax number: 206-252-0111.

    Why does it take so long to get Public Records data?

    The Public Records Office is staffed by two employees who work only part-time on public records requests.

    We receive hundreds of requests every year, most with multiple questions. That number is growing in both volume and complexity. Over the course of the 2013-14 school year, we received almost 400 requests.

    Although every effort is made to answer requests as soon as possible, the Public Records Officers have to juggle gathering and review of records with other important District tasks. The process of locating and gathering records is a manual one, and each gathered record must be carefully inspected for confidential or protected information before release.

    The best thing you can do to expedite receipt of requested records is to be very specific about what you want—giving a narrow date range and detailed description of the records you want will help the Public Records Officers quickly locate them and cut down on the time it takes to review unnecessary or unresponsive records.

    How can I ask for my student’s records?

    You can obtain a complete copy of your student’s cumulative folder by contacting the school directly.

    If you want to order all existing records, please contact Robin Wyman

    How do I file a claim for damages or unreimbursed medical expenses?

    If you believe that you were financially harmed or damaged and that the district may be responsible for your harm or damage, you may contact Carole Rusimovic for the appropriate claim form,

    Who can accept service of a lawsuit?

    Only attorneys are authorized to accept service against the Seattle School District or the District Superintendent. Please call the Legal Department to make sure that an attorney is present and available to accept service.

    You may contact the Legal Department at 206-252-0115.

    What does this restraining order or parenting plan mean?

    When a school receives a restraining order or a parenting plan and has questions about the legal ramifications of the order or plan, the Legal Department can interpret those documents for school personnel.

    Please send a copy via email or fax to 206-252-0111, or contact Robin Wyman We cannot provide advice to parents.

    What is the process and authority of staff to approve and sign contracts?

    See School Board Policy 6220 and the Superintendent Procedures implementing that policy.

    The Legal Departmental, Contracts Management, Purchasing and the Accounting Department developed a contracts matrix called the “Responsibilities for Review, Approval, and Execution of Contracts and Other Agreements”. This document lists who can approve and sign various contracts. 

    Do parents have the right to access their student’s special education records?

    The federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (“FERPA”) governs parental rights of access to educational records and protects a student’s privacy interests in his or her education records.

    FERPA gives parents the right to inspect and review their children’s education records, the right to seek to have those records amended, and the right to have some control over the disclosure of information from those records.

    Contact Robin Wyman,, or Amy Carter,, to obtain copies of special education records.