Transportation Change Cards are required when a student wants to take a different bus home or needs to get off on a different stop than they are assigned. Requests must be submitted no later than 10:30 a.m. on the day needed.
Temporary requests must be made by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Your students first and last name and ID#, and their teacher’s name and room #
- First and last name of the student your child is going home with or the stop location
- Bus number they will be riding
- Your name and phone number in case of questions
These procedures are in place to ensure that our students get to their destinations safely. Thank you!
Please remember that Transportation Change Card Requests must be submitted by 10:30 a.m. for travel that afternoon.
Seattle Public Schools provides free transportation for students who live within their school attendance area but outside the school’s walk zone.
If a student is placed in a program, such as deaf and hard of hearing services, that is not available in your neighborhood (attendance) area school, transportation is usually provided.
Transportation Eligibility Guidelines
- Elementary and K-8 schools have a 1-mile walk boundary. Eligible students are provided service primarily on yellow school buses.
- Middle schools have a 2-mile walk boundary. Service is either by yellow school bus or ORCA card for the Metro.
- High schools have a 2-mile walk boundary. Service is provided with an ORCA card.
Safe Routes to School
Biking and walking are great ways to get to school. Use the City of Seattle interactive map to find safe walking and biking routes to your school.
Walk, Bike, and Roll to School
Walking, biking, and rolling to school supports exercise, reduces pollution, and connects neighbors. Studies even show students arrive at school more attentive and ready to learn. Visit this page for resources to support you in walking, biking, and rolling to school.
Bus routes are sometimes delayed due to traffic, weather, construction, or other situations.
If your bus is late, we recommend your student stay at the bus stop. Please create a plan and discuss with your student what to do if their bus is late.